The Engineering Manager's Survival Guide
I'm Nico, since 2009, I have acted as a software engineer, lead developer, technical project manager, engineering manager, vice-president of engineering, and chief product officer.
During this journey, I led and grew a team from a few engineers building a new product to a department of 70+ teammates delivering an enterprise suite.
My hardest personal shift was the transition from software engineer to engineering manager. Since then, I’ve been mentoring engineering managers. Engineering managers I hired or promoted as well as, engineering managers working in different companies and various fields.
During these mentoring sessions, a lot of common questions are coming up. That's why I decided to write The Engineering Manager's Survival Guide. 👩💻
Who are you? 👥
- software engineer or team leader and you wonder if you should make this career move?
- just promoted to engineering manager and you need help?
- seasoned engineering manager and you want to refresh your knowledge?
- VP of engineering looking for a guide to train new engineering managers?
I'm currently writing this guide, here is the current content:
- Engineering Manager
- Career Ladder
- The Shift
- Manage Your Time
- Earn Trust
- Master The Context
- Your Team
- All Models Are Wrong
- Conway’s Law
- Tuckman’s Stages
- Bus Factor
- Your Reports
- One on One
- Learn to Delegate
- I'm currently writing this chapter ✍
Pre-order the Guide on Gumroad ✨⬇
Extra Resources 🎁
This guide comes with extra public resources.
I curate and nurture them here to keep them up to date.