Master the Context
2 min read (321 words)
In your daily work, you’ll often have to clarify why the team is working on this project, how the project is connected with broader goals, what are the expected outcomes, how the team is contributing to the company’s success.
You need to have a crystal clear understanding of the context of your organization.
Mastering the context is a prerequisite to enable great teamwork, to nurture efficient communication and to support excellent execution.
Let’s discuss how to clarify the context by answering a list of questions.
The Company 🏢
- 🌟 What is the company’s mission?
- 💵 What is the company’s business model?
- 🎯 What are the company’s main goals for this year?
- 💌 What’s the company culture, what are the main values?
The Department 🏠
- 🌟 What is the department’s mission?
- 🎯 What are the department’s main goals for this year?
- 💪 What are the current challenges?
The Team 👥
- 🌟 What’s the team mission?
- 🎯 What are the team’s main goals for this year?
- 👤 Who are the team’s members?
- 🔄 What are the relations and dependencies with other teams?
- 🏗 What are the team’s current projects?
- 🏗 What are the team’s future projects?
The Technology 🖥
- 💻 What are the programming languages and tools?
- 🗺 What is the overall architecture?
- 📦 What are the main components?
- 📈 What are the parameters of scale?
The Process ☑
- 🚅 What is the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)?
- 👩💻 What is the development workflow?
- 🛡 What are the quality assurance and testing practices?
- 📝 What are the documentation practices?
Answering the previous questions will help you to better understand the context and will help you to connect the dots. If you can’t answer some of the questions, ask your manager, ask your peers.
You’ll have to navigate this context, each aspect will have an impact on your actions and decisions. The context must be crystal clear for you.